Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Another Year Has Passed
 
Last Friday was my birthday and I forgot it was.  I don't know if it was because I was so busy or if I just subconsciously blocked it because it was number 61.  Either way, it wasn't until all the Happy Birthday's started coming in that I remembered it was. 
 
I realized that I am just past half way through life and still feel like I'm forty even if my body is starting to send little reminders that I'm not.  If you're anywhere near my age you know what I'm talking about.  The muscles don't rebound like they did and very sternly remind you of it when you do something stupid like deciding to build an outdoor water feature that requires lifting a pallet of concrete blocks into place to form the retaining wall.   My joints now creak a little when I get up in the morning and insist that I let everything limber up a little before jumping into the day. But I think the worse thing is having to wear bifocals.  I can see distance fine but my arms stopped growing and I couldn't make out the fine print so welcome to bifocal world.
 
I am happy about what reaching this age does allow me to enjoy.  I can get the senior discount now and that comes in pretty handy.  I don't have to worry about keeping up with the latest trends or impressing people who could care less.  (Soooo glad I was to old for skinny jeans!) I can generally do what I want, when I want and not have to plan the day with military precision just to make sure every one and everything gets taken care of.  I am old enough to know better but sometimes don't care if I shouldn't be doing this or that and I can get away with a few things that I couldn't when I was younger.
 
All in all, I'm pretty darn happy with this time in my life.
 
Anyway, my brother came down on Saturday and asked if I wanted to ride along on a day trip to the Lake of the Ozarks. It's was to hot to do anything else outside, there is a quilt shop that I've never been to and it means free meals with no clean up so why not?
 
 
We drove around the lake
 
A paddle boat!
 
Went to Bagnell Dam
 

The spillway

One of the turbines, at least 12 ft tall

Some facts about it
 
We did go to the new to me quilt shop but since this is already picture heavy I'll post about it tomorrow.  I did want to share what my niece sent me for my birthday.  I've been wanting this pattern for two years and now I can get started on it just in time for Halloween.   Love my niece!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Have a great week!
 
Rina
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday again Rina! I saw it on FB. What a wonderful post and I know exactly what you mean....my body doesn't know that my brain still thinks I'm in my 30s, 40s or even 50s!! I turned 62 and everything seems to have tightened up. I can just see you lifting those concrete blocks! What a neat pattern and it looks like you and your brother had a nice day trip. Can't wait to see pictures of quilt goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. Glad you had a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday! sounds like you had a very nice day with your brother. I enjoyed this post.I am 57 and feel the same way you do and yes, my body doesn't feel as young as my brain still thinks I am. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy late birthday, and I also turned 61 this year. I am having the best time of my life, so I could relate to everything you wrote, and then some. I found your blog through Freemotion by the River. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rina. I came over to visit because you came by me and followed, so I am returning the complement. I was about to wish you a Happy Birthday, and then realised that it was ages ago ;-) That explains the nice weather you had for your trip. I was wondering how come the sun was out when every one else was moaning about the snow. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Rina!
    It sounds like you had a good celebration with your brother.
    Yes, getting older has it's pro's and con's both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Late Birthday!!! Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete